Giants-Indians play half inning without umpires
The Giants, who were the home team, led the game 5-4 entering the bottom half of the frame. The contest would have typically concluded there, but the two clubs had agreed to play the full nine to get pitchers some additional work.
However, the umpires apparently weren't interested in sticking around.
Without anyone to call balls and strikes, Cleveland's catcher Beau Taylor took over umpiring duties while squatting behind home plate.
"Ha ha, yeah, I had to call strikes and balls," he told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. "I told the batters to work with me."
Taylor appeared to have trouble splitting his focus between the two jobs.
- Ohtani joins elite company with 3rd straight Edgar Martínez Outstanding DH Award
- 5 trades we want to see at MLB's winter meetings
- Report: Orioles contact relievers Hader, Kimbrel, Chapman, Hicks
- NL Central team needs heading into winter meetings
- Maeda hopes signing with Tigers will spread Detroit logo's use in Japan