Free-agent outfielder Yasiel Puig won't sign with the Atlanta Braves after he tested positive for COVID-19, sources told The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal.
Puig announced his diagnosis in a social media post on Friday.
"I would have never believed looking in the mirror that I had COVID-19," the 29-year-old wrote. "I urge everyone to take this pandemic seriously, this can happen to anyone, even the healthiest athlete.
"Wear a mask, social distance, and follow your local protocols. Please take care of yourselves. I will see you all very soon when I return to play ball."
Puig said he's asymptomatic and feels "absolutely fine." The outfielder will now quarantine until he receives two negative test results.
It was reported earlier this week that the Braves agreed to a deal with Puig, but the two sides never reached a formal agreement. Those discussions were going to advance only if Puig tested negative, sources told Rosenthal.
Puig split the 2019 campaign with the Cincinnati Reds and Cleveland Indians, hitting a combined .267/.327/.458 with 24 home runs and 84 RBIs.










