Blue Jays' Shaw: My tweets about Toronto restrictions were 'tone-deaf'
Icon Sportswire / Getty

Toronto Blue Jays infielder Travis Shaw has apologized for his comments earlier this week about the bubble restrictions in Toronto during the coronavirus pandemic.

After a report surfaced regarding Blue Jays players being subject to a $750,000 fine and potential jail time for leaving the Rogers Centre this season, Shaw tweeted the team was told the restrictions only applied for two weeks, and not the entire campaign.

"All summer isn't gonna happen. Not an option," the 30-year-old wrote. His comments led to an immediate backlash.

On Sunday, Shaw called his tweets "tone-deaf" and the result of frustration, according to Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.

"I apologize for that. At no point was I saying I was going to break the rules or we're going to break the rules," Shaw said.

Shaw also said he doesn't intend to opt out of the 2020 campaign, according to Arden Zwelling of Sportsnet. He added that the Blue Jays' front office held meetings with players on Saturday to address the club's intricate situation, and how playing the regular season in Toronto will unfold if that happens.

As of Sunday, there's no indication of where the Blue Jays will play their home games this season, although Buffalo has been mentioned as a possible home site. The regular season begins July 23.

On the road, however, Shaw said he doesn't think his teammates would "sit in their hotel room," but he's hopeful players wouldn't be "selfish and jeopardize public health and team health," according to Arash Madani of Sportsnet.

Shaw signed a one-year deal with the Blue Jays this past offseason.

Comments
Blue Jays' Shaw: My tweets about Toronto restrictions were 'tone-deaf'
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!
Daily Newsletter
Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox