Yasiel Puig won't be riding in cable cars anytime soon.
Cuban journalist Francys Romero tweeted last week that the free-agent outfielder was "very close" to a contract with the San Francisco Giants. The one-year deal would have become official as soon as MLB's coronavirus-related transaction freeze was lifted, according to Romero.
However, Giants manager Gabe Kapler denied the rumor Monday during an interview with KNBR's "Tolbert, Krueger & Brooks."
"The fact that it wasn't covered I think tells everybody everything they need to know," Kapler said. "Keep it short, keep it simple."
Puig and the Giants were previously linked in February.
There is plenty of history between the two sides. While a member of the Los Angeles Dodgers, Puig played a central role in the longstanding rivalry between the clubs, developing a feud with then-Giants ace Madison Bumgarner.
Giants president of baseball operations Farhan Zaidi also knows Puig from his time in the Dodgers' front office.
Puig split 2019 between the Cincinnati Reds and Cleveland Indians. The 29-year-old said earlier this month he's now focusing on returning in 2021 due to the COVID-19 stoppage.
He also said last month that he turned down a contract offer from the Miami Marlins.










