Verstappen secures pole for Dutch GP in home country
Red Bull driver and local hero Max Verstappen posted the fastest time in qualifying Saturday for the Dutch Grand Prix to secure the top starting spot for Sunday's race at Circuit Zandvoort in North Holland, Netherlands.
|1||Max Verstappen||Red Bull||1:08.885|
|7||Antonio Giovinazzi||Alfa Romeo||+.705|
|12||Lance Stroll||Aston Martin||Q2|
|16||Sergio Perez||Red Bull||Q1|
|17||Sebastian Vettel||Aston Martin||Q1|
|18||Robert Kubica||Alfa Romeo||Q1|
"It's an amazing feeling to get pole position here. The crowd is incredible. Today was good, I hope we can finish this off tomorrow," Verstappen said.
The 23-year-old dutchman edged his rival, Lewis Hamilton, for P1.
"Max did an amazing lap. I was so close to catching him, I gave it everything. He deserves pole," Hamilton said.
Hamilton leads Verstappen by three points for first in the Formula 1 driver standings.
- Video: Abiteboul finally gets that tattoo after Ricciardo bet
- Norris feeling ready to win races in 2022 as he says McLaren have performed better than Ferrari this season | Formula 1®
- Verstappen & Hamilton head for title decider
- Norris on a defining year in F1
- Tennis star Raducanu reveals the key piece of advice she received from Hamilton | Formula 1®