QPR shock Preston to boost survival bid
QPR boosted their hopes of avoiding relegation from the Championship with a surprise 2-0 win against play-off chasing Preston on Friday.
Marti Cifuentes's side made two successive victories thanks to goals from Paul Smyth and Chris Willock at Deepdale.
The west Londoners had struggled in the first half, with the freezing Lancashire weather making the pitch difficult to navigate.
But once they adapted to the conditions, QPR took control in the 55th minute.
Smyth darted into the six-yard box to poke home Ilias Chair's in-swinging cross.
Elijah Dixon-Bonner drove an effort narrowly wide as QPR kept pressing forward.
And the visitors delivered the knockout blow in the 87th minute.
Chair was the provider again, crossing for the unmarked Willock to slot home.
Preston missed the chance to move back into the top six thanks as a third successive loss stalled the momentum from their strong start to the season.
- Championship roundup: Ipswich step up promotion bid with 4th straight win
- Leeds score 3 late goals to beat Leicester in promotion showdown
- Championship strugglers Millwall sack manager Edwards, bring Harris back
- Championship roundup: Southampton miss chance to go 2nd, Ipswich win thriller
- Sunderland manager Beale fired after 12 games