Sunderland overcome rivals Middlesbrough to edge into playoff contention
London, Jan 22, 2023 (AFP) - Sunderland closed to within a point of the Championship playoff places by beating 10-man Middlesbrough 2-0 on Sunday.
In front of a crowd of over 40,000 at the Stadium of Light, the Black Cats recorded their first win in the Wear-Tees derby since 2008.
The key moment in the game came early in the second half when Ross Stewart was brought down by Dael Fry inside the box.
Fry was shown a red card and although Stewart's spot-kick was initially saved by Zack Steffen, the Scotland international slotted home the rebound.
Manchester United loanee Amad Diallo secured the three points with his seventh goal of the season nine minutes from time.
Victory lifts Sunderland up to ninth and within a point of Middlesbrough, who remain sixth.
- Championship roundup: Leicester stunned, Ipswich close gap in promotion race
- West Brom strengthen grip on Championship playoff place
- FA Cup roundup: Liverpool kids thrive, late winners for Chelsea and Man Utd
- FA Cup quarterfinal draw: Battle at Old Trafford for Man United, Liverpool
- Florida-based Shilen Patel completes West Brom takeover