Sunderland boost Championship playoff push with win over Millwall
London, Dec 3, 2022 (AFP) - Sunderland moved into the top 10 with a 3-0 win over Millwall as the English Championship returned from a World Cup shutdown on Saturday.
All the goals came in the second half with Amad Diallo, Alex Pritchard and Ellis Simms on target for the Black Cats, who closed to within one point of the playoff places.
Milwall remain in seventh, but blew the chance to climb up to fourth after dominating the first half without reward.
Manchester United loanee Diallo took his tally to four goals in his last six games as he tapped in at the back post to break the deadlock on 53 minutes.
Five minutes later it was 2-0 as Pritchard's effort squirmed through the grasp of Millwall goalkeeper George Long.
Simms sealed the points in stoppage time as he beat Long to a ball over the top before rolling into an empty net.
A full card of Championship fixtures returns next weekend after a four-week break for the World Cup in Qatar.
- FA Cup 3rd-round draw: Arsenal to face Liverpool, Tyne-Wear derby is back
- Championship roundup: Leicester strike late to stay top, Leeds win thriller
- QPR shock Preston to boost survival bid
- Championship roundup: Leicester slip-up allows Ipswich to close in on 1st
- Championship roundup: Rooney finally wins, Leicester lean on Vardy