Bruce in the firing line as West Brom drop into relegation zone
London, Oct 5, 2022 (AFP) - West Brom boss Steve Bruce is under mounting pressure after a 1-0 defeat at Preston saw the Baggies drop into the bottom three of the Championship on Wednesday.
Emil Riis scored the only goal at Deepdale as Preston secured their first home win of the season.
West Brom have won only one of their 12 league games this season and have played more matches than the only two sides below them in the table, Huddersfield and Coventry.
Swansea moved into the playoff places as a 2-1 win at Vicarage Road ruined Slaven Bilic's home bow as Watford boss.
The game was marked by 20 minutes of injury time after the officials' equipment to communicate with one another failed, leading to the players having to leave the pitch.
Ismaila Sarr fired Watford ahead but Olivier Ntcham levelled before Ben Cabango's header won the game in the eighth minute of the added time.
Vincent Kompany's Burnley remain in fifth after blowing a late lead to draw 1-1 at home to Stoke as Harry Clarke snatched a point for the visitors.
Managerless Middlesbrough moved out of the relegation zone with a 1-0 win over Birmingham thanks to Chuba Akpom's winner.
Hull beat Wigan 2-1, while Rotherham and Millwall played out a 1-1 draw.
- Championship roundup: Leicester leapfrog Preston into 1st after Vardy goal
- Championship roundup: Leicester win at Norwich, Warnock leaves Huddersfield
- Pilot cleared in helicopter crash that killed Leicester owner
- Former England striker Carroll joins Ligue 2 side Amiens in France
- League Cup roundup: Chelsea, Everton avoid massive upsets to advance