Steffen, Horvath debut for clubs in English 2nd tier
American goalkeepers Zack Steffen and Ethan Horvath made debuts Saturday for teams on the opening day of the second tier English League Championship.
Steffen, on loan from Manchester City where he was a backup to Ederson, was in goal for Middlesbrough's 1-1 draw against visiting West Bromwich Albion.
American forward Daryl Dike entered in the 78th, his first appearance since Jan. 22. Dike injured a hamstring in his second match after transferring from Major League Soccer's Orlando City, then hurt a tendon behind a knee during a rehab.
Horvath, on loan from Nottingham Forest, was in goal for Luton's 0-0 draw against visiting Birmingham.
Steffen and Horvath hope to gain playing time while on loan and earn spots on the U.S. World Cup roster.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Championship roundup: Sheffield United boss warns leaders can be better
- Steffen returns to fitness as USMNT's goalkeeper battle heats up
- Allen injury a worry for Wales ahead of World Cup
- Norwich beat Bristol City to extend hot streak
- Football postponements criticized as 'missed opportunity' to pay tribute