Steffen, Horvath debut for clubs in English 2nd tier
American goalkeepers Zack Steffen and Ethan Horvath made debuts Saturday for teams on the opening day of the second tier English League Championship.
Steffen, on loan from Manchester City where he was a backup to Ederson, was in goal for Middlesbrough's 1-1 draw against visiting West Bromwich Albion.
American forward Daryl Dike entered in the 78th, his first appearance since Jan. 22. Dike injured a hamstring in his second match after transferring from Major League Soccer's Orlando City, then hurt a tendon behind a knee during a rehab.
Horvath, on loan from Nottingham Forest, was in goal for Luton's 0-0 draw against visiting Birmingham.
Steffen and Horvath hope to gain playing time while on loan and earn spots on the U.S. World Cup roster.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Kolo Toure handed 1st managerial job at Wigan
- FA Cup draw: Manchester City to face Chelsea in 3rd round
- Joe Allen set to miss Wales' World Cup opener vs. United States
- English football to have independent regulator 'in 5 years', says review chair
- Barnes strikes as Burnley top Championship with derby win over Blackburn