Report: Manchester United adamant Ronaldo isn't for sale

Martin Rickett - PA Images / PA Images / Getty

Manchester United have told Cristiano Ronaldo he cannot leave this summer while his representatives work to gauge the interest of some of Europe's biggest clubs, according to ESPN's Rob Dawson.

Bayern Munich, Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain, and Real Madrid have been linked with moves for the superstar, who's understood to want to play in the Champions League over the remaining years of his career.

The 37-year-old is also concerned about United's failure to sign any players so far this summer.

Despite his reservations, United expect Ronaldo to stay at Old Trafford next season, BBC Sport's Simon Stone understands.

Ronaldo's agent, Jorge Mendes, met with new Chelsea co-owner Todd Boehly in Portugal last week, and the United attacker's future was among the topics discussed, The Athletic's David Ornstein reported Saturday.

Bayern have apparently been involved in a similar meeting, but sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic recently said there's "no truth" in the rumors linking the German giants with Ronaldo.

Mendes represents numerous other big-name players, including AC Milan's Rafael Leao and Manchester City's Bernardo Silva, Ruben Dias, Joao Cancelo, and Ederson. Because of this, United believe there was nothing untoward in Mendes' recent meetings.

Ronaldo has one year left on his contract. He was one of the few United players to escape strong criticism last season as he scored 24 goals in all competitions while the side slumped to sixth in the Premier League - qualifying for the Europa League as a result - and only reached the last 16 in the Champions League. The Red Devils were also knocked out of the FA Cup in the fourth round and the League Cup in the third round.

Comments
Report: Manchester United adamant Ronaldo isn't for sale
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!

Daily Newsletter

Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox