Barcelona snap up Depay on free transfer
The attacker, who agreed to a two-year deal with the Catalonians, is currently representing the Netherlands at Euro 2020.
The 27-year-old is Barcelona's third free signing of the summer after the arrivals of Sergio Aguero and Eric Garcia from Manchester City. Depay rolls into the Camp Nou following a stellar Ligue 1 campaign with Lyon in which he bagged 20 goals and 12 assists. He was second only to Kylian Mbappe in the league's scoring charts.
Depay netted a penalty and helped create the second goal in the Netherlands' 2-0 win over Austria on Thursday but has blown hot and cold over his first two outings at the European Championship. "Of course, he knows he can do better," his national team boss Frank de Boer said on Friday.
Depay's transfer to Barcelona reunites him with his former Netherlands manager, Ronald Koeman. He played 18 times under Koeman, scoring 11 goals.
- 10 thoughts from this week's Champions League action
- European clubs call for talks with FIFA amid plans for biennial World Cup
- UEFA doubles prize money for women's Euro 2022
- UEFA raises 'serious concerns' about FIFA's insular World Cup plans
- Under-fire Koeman refuses to answer questions in Barca press conference