The Champions League knockout stage is now set following Wednesday's slate of fixtures, and football fans have been spoiled by a near-countless number of stellar strikes. With 96 matches played and 275 goals registered, here's a look at the top-10 tallies from the group stage.
Narrowly missing out are
Arjen Robben for this dazzler, Red Star's Milan Pavkov for this stunner, and Paris Saint-Germain winger Angel Di Maria for this crafty curler. 10. Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City) vs. Shakhtar Donetsk Manchester City made a mockery of Shakhtar Donetsk with 3-0 and 6-0 victories, the latter coming on Matchday 4, where Jesus bagged a peach of a lob.
9. Maxwel Cornet (Lyon) vs. Manchester City
Cornet's gorgeous curler stunned City on Matchday 5 at the Etihad Stadium in an unexpected 2-1 victory for Les Gones.
8. Pablo Rosario (PSV) vs. Inter
Pablo Rosario's stellar strike on Matchday 2 against Inter wasn't enough for PSV to top the Serie A side. Decent effort, that.
7. Mariano Diaz (Real Madrid) vs. Roma
What a way to open your
Real account. Summer signing Mariano did exactly this on Matchday 1 in a comprehensive 3-0 result against Roma.
6. Paulo Dybala (Juventus) vs. Young Boys
Sometimes all it takes is one touch, something
Juventus' Dybala is adept at. This finish on Matchday 2 versus Young Boys served as a brilliant example.
5. Lionel Messi (Barcelona) vs. PSV
Like the dubious Ballon d'Or vote,
Messi finished fifth here thanks to bulging the side netting on a dead ball against PSV on Matchday 1.
4. Ousmane Dembele (Barcelona) vs. PSV
Who cares if
Dembele can't make it to training on time when the winger can split two players before unleashing a rocket like on Matchday 1 versus PSV.
3. Arnaut Groeneveld (Club Brugge) vs. Atletico Madrid
Despite slumping to a 3-1 defeat at the Wanda Metropolitano on Matchday 2, Groeneveld's missile from outside the area was the highlight for
2. Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona) vs. Tottenham
Matchday 2 was blessed by a bevy of brilliant goals, with
Rakitic's volley in Barcelona's win against Tottenham being the best of the lot.
1. Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus) vs. Manchester United Leandro Bonucci and Ronaldo teamed up for the goal of the group stages as the Portuguese fired home the opener in a 2-1 Matchday 4 loss to former side Manchester United.