Sherif becomes 1st Egyptian to win WTA Tour event
PARMA, Italy (AP) — Mayar Sherif became the first Egyptian to win a WTA Tour event by beating top-seeded Maria Sakkari 7-5, 6-3 at the Parma Ladies Open on Saturday.
Besides earning her first career title, Sherif also notched her first win over a top-10 opponent.
Along with Tunisia’s Ons Jabeur, who reached the Wimbledon and U.S. Open finals this year, Sherif is raising the profile of tennis in North Africa.
The 74th-ranked Sherif actually had to win two matches on Saturday, first overcoming sixth-seeded Ana Bogdan 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 in the semifinals, which were postponed a day due to rain.
The seventh-ranked Sakkari beat Danka Kovinic 7-5, 6-2 in her semifinal earlier Saturday.
More AP Tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Canada beats Italy to win Billie Jean King Cup for 1st time
- Naomi Osaka set to make her tennis return at the Brisbane International
- Teenager Stakusic leads Canada to win over Spain in BJK Cup Finals
- Czech Republic beats defending champ Switzerland at BJK Cup Finals
- Swiatek returns to No. 1 after beating Pegula for 1st career WTA Finals title