Top-seeded Sakkari reaches semifinals at Parma Ladies Open
PARMA, Italy (AP) — Top-seeded Maria Sakkari rallied past 97th-ranked Maryna Zanevska 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 on Thursday at the Parma Ladies Open to reach her first semifinal since the grass-court season.
Sakkari, who has gone three sets in all three of her matches this week, will face Danka Kovinic for a spot in the final of the clay-court event after Kovinic beat Jasmine Paolini 6-4, 6-4.
In her previous semifinal, Sakkari lost to Belinda Bencic in Berlin in June. The seventh-ranked Greek player was eliminated by Wang Xiyu in the second round of the U.S. Open on Aug. 31.
In the bottom half of the draw, Mayar Sherif of Egypt beat American opponent Lauren Davis 7-6 (2), 6-3 to reach her second career semifinal. Sherif next faces Ana Bogdan, who defeated fellow Romanian Irina-Camelia Begu 6-2, 7-6 (6).
More AP Tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Zverev gets shot at 21st career title, Boulter upset early at Ningbo Open
- David Haggerty re-elected president of the International Tennis Federation
- Asian tournaments: Wang Xiyu wins 1st WTA title, Andy Murray loses in Zhuhai
- U.S. senators push to award Billie Jean King with Congressional Gold Medal
- British qualifier Dart beats Niemeier as tennis returns to China after 4 years