Top-seeded Sakkari reaches semifinals at Parma Ladies Open
PARMA, Italy (AP) — Top-seeded Maria Sakkari rallied past 97th-ranked Maryna Zanevska 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 on Thursday at the Parma Ladies Open to reach her first semifinal since the grass-court season.
Sakkari, who has gone three sets in all three of her matches this week, will face Danka Kovinic for a spot in the final of the clay-court event after Kovinic beat Jasmine Paolini 6-4, 6-4.
In her previous semifinal, Sakkari lost to Belinda Bencic in Berlin in June. The seventh-ranked Greek player was eliminated by Wang Xiyu in the second round of the U.S. Open on Aug. 31.
In the bottom half of the draw, Mayar Sherif of Egypt beat American opponent Lauren Davis 7-6 (2), 6-3 to reach her second career semifinal. Sherif next faces Ana Bogdan, who defeated fellow Romanian Irina-Camelia Begu 6-2, 7-6 (6).
More AP Tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Djokovic back at top of ATP rankings, Sabalenka No. 2 in WTA
- How Aussie Open champ Sabalenka reworked serve, fostered belief
- Krejcikova, Siniakova win Australian Open doubles for 7th major title
- Sabalenka beats Rybakina to win Australian Open, 1st Grand Slam title
- Blockx, Korneeva win Australian Open junior titles