Serena open to tennis return: 'Tom Brady started a really cool trend'
Serena Williams isn't ruling out a return to tennis one day.
"I mean, you never know," Williams said. "I've just been saying that, you know, I think Tom Brady started a really cool trend."
The 45-year-old Brady announced his retirement from the NFL in February but walked back the decision just 40 days later to return to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for his 23rd season.
Williams, 40, bid farewell to tennis earlier this month following her loss to Ajla Tomljanovic in the third round of the US Open. While it remains to be seen if she decides to return competitively, she did state Wednesday that she plans to remain involved in the sport in some capacity.
"Tennis has given me so much, and I feel like there's no way that I don't want to be involved in tennis somehow in the future," Williams said. "I don't know what that involvement is yet, but I do know that I love the sport so much. I love the game. I love everything about it. It's just been such a light in my life that I definitely want to keep some sort, something involved in there."
- Canada beats Italy to win Billie Jean King Cup for 1st time
- Naomi Osaka set to make her tennis return at the Brisbane International
- Teenager Stakusic leads Canada to win over Spain in BJK Cup Finals
- Czech Republic beats defending champ Switzerland at BJK Cup Finals
- Swiatek returns to No. 1 after beating Pegula for 1st career WTA Finals title