Coco Gauff reaches 1st grass-court quarterfinal in Berlin
BERLIN (AP) — Coco Gauff reached her first grass-court quarterfinal by beating Chinese qualifier Wang Xinyu 6-0, 6-4 Thursday at the Berlin Open.
The American 18-year-old, who reached her first Grand Slam final at the French Open on clay this month, cruised through the first set but then had to come from a break down in the second.
Gauff made her breakthrough by making the fourth round at Wimbledon in 2019 as a 15-year-old and will next face Karolina Pliskova, who reached the final at the All England Club last year.
Top-seeded Ons Jabeur saved a set point in the second-set tiebreaker before converting her fifth match point to beat qualifier Alycia Parks 6-2, 7-6 (8).
Also, Thursday, Veronika Kudermetova overcame a disappointing second set to beat defending champion Liudmila Samsonova 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-1 and clinch the last quarterfinal spot. Kudermetova had led 4-0 in the second set and then held a match point in the 10th game before Samsonova rallied.
Kudermetova will face No. 8-seeded Belinda Bencic, who beat Anna Kalinskaya 6-4, 1-6, 6-1.
More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Jabeur back in Wimbledon quarters after topsy-turvy win over Mertens
- 103rd-ranked Maria wins again at Wimbledon to reach 1st major quarterfinal
- Swiatek's win streak ends at 37 matches after 3rd-round defeat at Wimbledon
- Wimbledon crowds down 7% from 2019; 2nd-lowest since 2007
- Ostapenko's loss leaves just one Grand Slam champ at Wimbledon