Basilashvili stuns Rublev in 1st round in Halle
HALLE, Germany (AP) — Last year's beaten finalist Andrey Rublev lost to Nikoloz Basilashvili 7-6 (1), 6-4 in the first round of the Halle Open on Monday.
Rublev, who won titles in Marseille, Dubai, and Belgrade this season, was bidding to go one better in Halle after losing last year’s decider to Ugo Humbert. But Basilashvili stunned the third-seeded Russian and avenged his defeat to Rublev last year.
Basilashvili next faces Germany's Oscar Otte or Serbian Miomir Kecmanovic.
Defending champion Humbert was made to fight hard but ultimately came through against Moldovan qualifier Radu Albot 6-7 (4), 7-6 (4), 7-5. The French player next faces the fifth-seeded Hubert Hurkacz or American qualifier Maxime Cressy.
Also, Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta defeated Danish teenager Holger Rune 6-3, 7-6 (5).
More AP tennis: https://apnews.com/hub/tennis and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Homework-skipping teen Andreeva details big ambitions before Gauff showdown
- Raducanu seeking 6th coach in 2 years after splitting with Sachs
- Rybakina beats Czech teen to reach 3rd round at French Open, Keys loses
- Need directions to Roland Garros? Federer can guide you on Waze
- Debutant Stearns beats former champ Ostapenko at Roland Garros