Racket-thrower Begu advances to 4th round at Roland Garros
PARIS (AP) - Irina-Camelia Begu has reached the fourth round at a Grand Slam tournament for the first time in six years, getting there at Roland Garros one match after being fined $10,000 for tossing her racket and having it brush a child in the stands.
The 63rd-ranked Romanian advanced by beating 227th-ranked French wild-card entry Leolia Jeanjean 6-1, 6-4 on Saturday.
Begu is 31 and participating in her 41st major tournament. Her best showings previously were fourth-round runs at the 2015 Australian Open and the 2016 French Open.
Jeanjean was appearing in her first tour-level event and beat two-time major finalist and former No. 1 Karolina Pliskova in the second round.
- New surface, same result: Swiatek extends winning streak to 36 matches
- Gauff overcomes slow start to reach 2nd round at Wimbledon
- 2-time Wimbledon champion Kvitova into 2nd round after comeback win
- Ukrainians have war on mind during 1st-round Wimbledon wins
- Riske becomes 1st player to reach 2nd round at Wimbledon