Azarenka overpowers Svitolina in straight sets at Aussie Open
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) - Two-time Australian Open champion Victoria Azarenka is into the fourth round for the first time since 2016 after overpowering 15th-seeded Elina Svitolina 6-0, 6-2.
Azarenka accumulated nearly twice as many winners, 17, as unforced errors, nine, and never faced a break point. Svitolina made mistake after mistake, 26 unforced errors in all.
Azarenka improved to 5-0 against Svitolina.
The 24th-seeded Azarenka won the title at Melbourne Park in 2012 and 2013, and she also has been the runner-up at the U.S. Open three times, most recently in 2020.
She next will play No. 4 Barbora Krejcikova or No. 26 Jelena Ostapenko, who each has won the French Open.
Since a quarterfinal run in Australia in 2016, Azarenka lost first-round matches last year and in 2019, and missed the hard-court tournament in 2017, 2018 and 2020.
- Swiatek's versatility behind her impressive 28-match winning streak
- Swiatek defends Italian Open title with 28th straight win
- Iga Swiatek equals Serena Williams with 27-match winning streak
- Swiatek asserts No. 1 status with win over Andreescu in Rome
- Svitolina: Russian, Belarusian players must address war in Ukraine