Top-ranked Barty needs only 54 minutes to win 1st-round match
Top-ranked Ash Barty didn’t waste much time in advancing to the second round of her home Open.
Barty beat Lesia Tsurenko 6-0, 6-1 in the first night match on Rod Laver Arena. Barty won the first 11 games but eventually needed five match points before advancing in 54 minutes.
Barty is trying to become the first Australian woman since Chris O’Neill in 1978 to win the Australian Open. Two-time major champion Barty will possibly meet defending champion Naomi Osaka, who advanced earlier Monday in straight sets, in the fourth round.
In another match, 2020 Australian Open champion Sofia Kenin lost 7-6 (2), 7-5 to fellow American Madison Keys.
- Swiatek's versatility behind her impressive 28-match winning streak
- Swiatek defends Italian Open title with 28th straight win
- Iga Swiatek equals Serena Williams with 27-match winning streak
- Swiatek asserts No. 1 status with win over Andreescu in Rome
- Svitolina: Russian, Belarusian players must address war in Ukraine