No. 5 Sakkari opens Australian Open with win over Maria
Fifth-seeded Maria Sakkari beat Tatjana Maria 6-4, 7-6 (2) in the first match completed on the main show court in the first Grand Slam tournament of the year.
She said the experience was “weird ... in a good way.”
“I was a little bit stressed, opening the tournament on this wonderful court,” she said. “It’s a privilege to have my first match here.”
Tokyo Olympics gold medalist Belinda Bencic beat Kristina Mladenovic 6-4, 6-3, and 15th-seeded Elina Svitolina had a 6-1, 7-6 (4) win over Fiona Ferro in other early results.
Women’s defending champion Naomi Osaka was scheduled to play the second match on Rod Laver Arena, followed by Rafael Nadal.
- Swiatek's versatility behind her impressive 28-match winning streak
- Swiatek defends Italian Open title with 28th straight win
- Iga Swiatek equals Serena Williams with 27-match winning streak
- Swiatek asserts No. 1 status with win over Andreescu in Rome
- Svitolina: Russian, Belarusian players must address war in Ukraine