VIDEO: Robin van Persie gives captain's armband to Dutch super fan
Oranje General Winfried Witjes is the biggest Dutch football supporter in the world. The 54-year-old is a clothing shop manager in Elst, a small city in the Netherlands. Without a partner or children, he's dedicated himself to following the Dutch national team. Witjes estimates that since 1988, he's attended 80% of the side's matches.
On Saturday, after winning the third place playoff vs. Brazil, Netherlands captain Robin van Persie rewarded Witjes for his devotion by handing the super fan his armband.
Overwhelmed by the striker's generosity, the Dutch supporter kissed his hero's hand and patted his head in thanks.
With the simple gesture, van Persie probably made the man's day, year, life and afterlife.
For more on Witjes' story, check out this feature video:
- Infantino re-elected as FIFA president until 2027 after standing unopposed
- Expanded 2026 World Cup to feature 4-team groups, 104 total matches
- Women's World Cup prize money increases 300% to $152M
- Spain, Portugal say Morocco inclusion boosts World Cup bid
- Morocco joining Spain and Portugal in 2030 World Cup bid