VIDEO: Robin van Persie gives captain's armband to Dutch super fan
Oranje General Winfried Witjes is the biggest Dutch football supporter in the world. The 54-year-old is a clothing shop manager in Elst, a small city in the Netherlands. Without a partner or children, he's dedicated himself to following the Dutch national team. Witjes estimates that since 1988, he's attended 80% of the side's matches.
On Saturday, after winning the third place playoff vs. Brazil, Netherlands captain Robin van Persie rewarded Witjes for his devotion by handing the super fan his armband.
Overwhelmed by the striker's generosity, the Dutch supporter kissed his hero's hand and patted his head in thanks.
With the simple gesture, van Persie probably made the man's day, year, life and afterlife.
For more on Witjes' story, check out this feature video:
- MetLife Stadium gets 2026 World Cup final as schedule unveiled
- Beckenbauer laid to rest during private ceremony in Munich
- Brazil confirms hiring of Dorival Junior as new national team coach
- Brazil, Argentina fined for fan brawl before World Cup qualifier
- Remembering the Kaiser: Tributes pour in for 'legend' Beckenbauer