Parker reaches 8th on WNBA's all-time scoring list as Aces top Dream
COLLEGE PARK, Ga. (AP) — A’ja Wilson scored 21 points, Candace Parker moved into eighth on the WNBA's career scoring list, and the Las Vegas Aces beat the Atlanta Dream 92-87 on Friday night.
Parker passed Katie Smith (6,452) on the points list and now trails Sue Bird (6,803) for seventh.
Kelsey Plum made a key steal of Aari McDonald and Chelsea Gray raced the other way for a fast-break layup to extend Las Vegas' lead to 89-84. But Rhyne Howard completed a three-point play at the other end with 36 seconds left.
Gray answered with a jumper from the free-throw line with 22.5 seconds left for a four-point lead and Kiah Stokes blocked Howard's 3-point attempt at the other end.
Jackie Young scored 20 points, Plum added 15 and Parker finished with 13 for Las Vegas (5-0).
Las Vegas led 45-30 at the break behind 12 points apiece from Wilson and Young.
Cheyenne Parker had 25 points and 11 rebounds for Atlanta (2-3). Allisha Gray added 16 points and Howard scored 15.
AP sports: https://apnews.com/hub/sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
- Mercury hire 3-time All-Star Kristi Toliver as associate head coach
- Moore, Augustus headline 2024 Women's Basketball Hall of Fame class
- Taurasi in new role as she chases history, 6th Olympic gold medal
- How new sneaker brands are hustling to upend the industry Goliaths
- Potential WNBA expansion team for Portland shelved for now