Shock and awe: Twitter reacts to Messi joining Inter Miami
Major League Soccer and Inter Miami really pulled it off.
Lionel Messi, the global soccer icon, announced Wednesday that he intends to join the MLS club this summer. In doing so, he spurned the advances of Saudi Arabian team Al-Hilal - and their gargantuan salary package - and also decided not to keep waiting for Barcelona to find the right financial formula to make his romantic return a reality.
Twitter went wild on a whirlwind day. Here are some of the best reactions:
Taking his talents to South Beach
Naturally, the jokes were flying ...
The Messi Effect
It didn't take long to see the impact of the Argentine's decision ...
By the numbers
Whenever Messi is involved, the stats are always mind-blowing ...
The biggest winner of all?
David Beckham played this one perfectly ...
- Mariners snap 4-game losing streak, beat Astros to stay in wild-card hunt
- Watch: Mariners fan hits Kirby after throwing ball on field
- Report: Warriors finalizing deal to bring WNBA team to Bay Area
- Braves score twice on Suzuki fielding error, overcome 6-run deficit to beat Cubs
- Chargers' Staley: Johnston's role will expand after Williams' injury