MLS playoffs set after frantic finish to 2021 regular season
Real Salt Lake made Decision Day 2021 a memorable one.
Kreilach smashed in his 16th goal of the season with the last meaningful kick of the game, bumping the LA Galaxy out of the postseason picture.
The Galaxy lost out after battling to a 3-3 draw with Minnesota United.
Earlier, Atlanta United, Orlando City, and the New York Red Bulls claimed the final three playoff berths in the East, joining the New England Revolution, the Philadelphia Union, Nashville SC, and New York City FC.
The Revolution - who clinched the Supporters' Shield with an MLS-record 73 points - and Rapids earned byes to the conference semifinals as the best teams in the East and West.
The first round of the 2021 MLS Cup playoffs begin Nov. 20 with single-elimination matches between the following teams:
- (2) Philadelphia Union vs. (7) New York Red Bulls
- (3) Nashville SC vs. (6) Orlando City SC
- (4) New York City FC vs. (5) Atlanta United
- (2) Seattle Sounders vs. (7) Real Salt Lake
- (3) Kansas City SC vs. (6) Vancouver Whitecaps
- (4) Portland Timbers vs. (5) Minnesota United
Columbus won't have a chance to defend its title despite beating the already eliminated Chicago Fire on Sunday.
LAFC lost 5-2 to the Rapids to spoil their perfect playoff attendance.
The Red Bulls made the postseason for the 12th consecutive season with a scrappy 1-1 draw in Nashville.
D.C. United missed out despite winning 3-1 at Toronto FC.
Orlando scored a big 2-0 win in Montreal to eliminate the Canadian side from postseason contention.
All first-round matches will take place Nov. 20, 21, and 23. The conference semifinals are set for Nov. 25, 28, and 30, while the conference finals will be played Dec. 4 and 5.
The MLS Cup will take place Dec. 11.
- Report: Cook trending toward playing TNF vs. Steelers
- Canucks beat Bruins in shootout as Boudreau wins 2nd straight game
- Warriors knock off Trail Blazers but Curry falls short of 3-point record
- Ortiz: I have 'faith' Schilling will be elected to HOF this year
- Rockets beat shorthanded Nets for 7th straight win