Sigh of relief for Milan as Maignan avoids serious thigh injury
Goalkeeper Mike Maignan is a doubt for AC Milan's match with Verona after picking up a thigh problem in his team's Champions League draw with Newcastle, the Serie A club said Wednesday.
In a statement, Milan said the France international had a problem with his left thigh but that tests carried out on Wednesday ruled out any serious injury.
"His medical progress will be monitored daily," added Milan.
Maignan was replaced by Marco Sportiello towards the end of Tuesday's goalless draw and after the match coach Stefano Pioli said he was "worried" about the 28-year-old's condition.
A calf injury kept Maignan out of action for four months last season and cost him a place in France's squad for the World Cup in Qatar.
Milan host Verona on Saturday, lying third in Italy's top flight after being hammered 5-1 by local rivals and league leaders Inter Milan at the weekend.
Pioli's team then travel to Cagliari for a midweek round of matches before welcoming Lazio the following weekend.
- Serie A roundup: Milan close gap on leaders Juve, Lazio fans boo despite win
- Euro 2024 draw interrupted by apparent sexual noises heard on stage
- Euro 2024 draw: Italy gets Spain and Croatia, tricky group for France
- Juventus go top after dramatic finish at Monza
- Serie A preview: Inter face reinvigorated Napoli with lead in the balance