Grillo wins Charles Schwab Challenge in playoff over Schenk
Emiliano Grillo overcame a costly error and defeated Adam Schenk in a playoff to prevail at the Charles Schwab Challenge on Sunday.
The Argentinian birdied the second playoff hole to claim his first PGA TOUR title since October 2015 when he won the Frys.com Open in a playoff over Kevin Na. That was Grillo's eighth career PGA Tour event but first as a member.
Grillo led at Colonial by two strokes Sunday but fell apart on the 18th hole. His tee shot found the stream and rolled for several minutes before coming to a stop.
Grillo double-bogeyed and sat at 8-under entering the playoff. Schenk finished with the same score after firing a 2-over 72 before the extra holes.
Harry Hall sat at 8-under heading into No. 18, but his tee shot also found water. He finished one shot back of the leaders at 7-under in a tie for third with Scottie Scheffler.
Grillo went 2,779 days between victories.
- Team Europe: The 12 men looking to keep home streak alive at Ryder Cup
- Rahm: Europe is '100%' the underdog at Ryder Cup
- Ryder Cup preview: Roster breakdown, betting odds for Team Europe
- Ryder Cup preview: Roster breakdown, betting odds for Team USA
- JT cares more about winning Ryder Cup than whether he should be in it