Niemann, Schauffele, Varner turn down LIV Golf

Stan Badz / PGA TOUR / Getty

It appears Joaquin Niemann, Xander Schauffele, and Harold Varner III won't be among the next group of players to make the move from the PGA TOUR to LIV Golf.

That trio had been mentioned as possible players to make the jump to the rival circuit following the U.S. Open, but all three of them denied the speculation this week at Brookline.

"Nothing to tell from me. I want to do my best to beat all these guys," Niemann told Dylan Dethier of Golf.com. "(The top-ranked players are) still here, and as long as they're here, I'm not going anywhere. No chance."

Schauffele also pledged his TOUR loyalty when talking to Dethier. The World No. 12 noted that the majority of the top-ranked talent in the men's game remains on the PGA TOUR.

"I want to play against the best players in the world, and they're on the PGA TOUR," Schauffele said. "Nobody that has left has moved the needle for me."

Varner has the most ties to the Saudi-backed league after winning the Saudi Invitational tournament earlier this year with an incredible eagle on the final hole.

Although Varner admitted Friday he'd received an offer, he said he won't be joining the Greg Norman-run outfit.

"I've spoken with (PGA TOUR commissioner) Jay (Monahan), I've spoken with a lot of people I look up to, and it just wasn't worth it to me for, what it was worth," Varner said, according to Bob Harig of Sports Illustrated.

While rumors continue to fly about who'll join LIV Golf before its next event in Portland at the end of June, Dustin Johnson remains the top-ranked player on the LIV circuit at No. 16 in the world. Louis Oosthuizen and Bryson DeChambeau are the only other members ranked inside the top 30.

Comments
Niemann, Schauffele, Varner turn down LIV Golf
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!

Daily Newsletter

Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox