Bradley torches Copperhead to hold 2-shot lead at Valspar Championship
Keegan Bradley rode elite iron play to an opening-round 64 at Innisbrook Resort's Copperhead Course on Thursday to hold a two-shot lead at the Valspar Championship.
The 34-year-old gained four strokes with his approach shots to lead the field in that category. He missed only one green in regulation during his seven-birdie, no-bogey performance.
"Well, today was an all-around just great day," Bradley said, according to ASAP Sports. "Basically zero stress the whole day. I didn't really come close to making a bogey, so that was a really fun day to be out there and playing."
The notoriously fast starter is searching for his first victory since 2018. He was the first-round leader at the 2016 Valspar Championship but shot 79 in the second round to miss the cut.
Max Homa is among five players who are at 5-under par and chasing Bradley. Homa nailed a 57-footer on 18 to shoot 66.
Here's how the top of the leaderboard stands after Day 1:
|Place||Player||To Par||R1 Score|
Dustin Johnson shot even to sit outside the top 50.
- South Koreans can avoid mandatory military service with Olympic medal
- Olympic golf betting preview: Red-hot Morikawa favored to win gold
- Tee times, groups announced for opening rounds of Olympic golf
- Norwegians have long memories, high hopes at Olympics
- Happy to be playing, Matsuyama tries to cap year with gold