Thomas misses cut at Sony Open: I 'played like crap'
Sam Greenwood / Getty Images Sport / Getty

Things didn't go as planned for Justin Thomas at the Sony Open, as the top-ranked player in the field carded a 71 and 72 - both over par - to finish outside the cutline, ending his attempt to win back-to-back tournaments.

"I mean, played like crap so I deserve to have a weekend off," Thomas said, according to Golf Channel's Brentley Romine.

Thomas (3-over) hit the ball decent despite sustained wind speeds of 30 mph at Waialae Country Club. However, it was his short game and putting that led to his early exit from the event. The 26-year-old lost over three strokes with his flatstick during Friday's second round, one of the worst performances of his career.

"Playing plenty good enough to still be winning this week," Thomas said. "Probably was a little exhausted from last week."

Fatigue is an understandable excuse from Thomas. He battled windier conditions last week en route to his Tournament of Champions win, where he outdueled Patrick Reed and Xander Schauffele in a grueling three-hole playoff.

The missed cut at the Sony Open is his first since the 2019 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach and only his third since the 2018 Open Championship.

Don't feel too bad for Thomas, though. He pocketed $1.34 million for his victory last week and has a weekend off in Honolulu, Hawaii. Things could be worse.

Comments
Thomas misses cut at Sony Open: I 'played like crap'
  Got something to say? Leave a comment below!
Daily Newsletter
Get the latest trending sports news daily in your inbox