Schauffele remains ahead by 1 in Tournament of Champions title defense
Xander Schauffele carries a one-shot lead into the final round of the Tournament of Champions after shooting a 2-under 71 on Saturday.
The defending champion made his first bogey of the year's opening event on No. 8 but managed to regain his 36-hole lead - which was temporarily taken from him by Justin Thomas - with back-to-back birdies on No. 14 and 15.
Schauffele will look to successfully defend his title in Kapalua, Hawaii in a completely different fashion than last year's victory. In 2019, the 26-year-old fired a course-record-tying 62 on Sunday to erase a five-shot deficit and edge out Gary Woodland. This year, Schauffele will have to fend off a pack of chasers, which contains Thomas and Woodland, to secure his fifth career PGA Tour title.
Here's how the top of the leaderboard stands after Round 3:
|Place||Player||To Par||R3 Score|
Kevin Kisner (7-under) matched the low round of Day 3 with a 5-under 68. He climbed from outside the top 15 into a logjam of players sharing the fourth spot. Jon Rahm and Patrick Reed are also at 7-under for the event.
The final round begins Sunday at 2:40 p.m. ET with the last group teeing off at 5:20 p.m.
- Hovland successfully defends title at Hero World Challenge
- McIlroy: Norman's 'brainwashed' comment started rift
- Norman: I pay 'zero attention' to comments from Tiger, McIlroy
- Hovland has 64 in the sun and mud of Bahamas for 3-shot lead
- Hovland leads, Scheffler makes late bid to return to No. 1 in the world