Schauffele remains ahead by 1 in Tournament of Champions title defense
Xander Schauffele carries a one-shot lead into the final round of the Tournament of Champions after shooting a 2-under 71 on Saturday.
The defending champion made his first bogey of the year's opening event on No. 8 but managed to regain his 36-hole lead - which was temporarily taken from him by Justin Thomas - with back-to-back birdies on No. 14 and 15.
Schauffele will look to successfully defend his title in Kapalua, Hawaii in a completely different fashion than last year's victory. In 2019, the 26-year-old fired a course-record-tying 62 on Sunday to erase a five-shot deficit and edge out Gary Woodland. This year, Schauffele will have to fend off a pack of chasers, which contains Thomas and Woodland, to secure his fifth career PGA Tour title.
Here's how the top of the leaderboard stands after Round 3:
|Place||Player||To Par||R3 Score|
Kevin Kisner (7-under) matched the low round of Day 3 with a 5-under 68. He climbed from outside the top 15 into a logjam of players sharing the fourth spot. Jon Rahm and Patrick Reed are also at 7-under for the event.
Notables Rickie Fowler (6-under) and Dustin Johnson (5-under) sit outside the top 10.
The final round begins Sunday at 2:40 p.m. ET with the last group teeing off at 5:20 p.m.
- Koepka has message for LIV Ryder Cup snubs: 'Play better'
- Team USA: Star-laden squad looking to build on record-breaking win
- McIlroy: LIV defectors miss Ryder Cup more than Europe misses them
- Ryder Cup best bets: Backing a trio of players to shine in Rome
- Team Europe: The 12 men looking to keep home streak alive at Ryder Cup