Schauffele hangs on to win golf gold for U.S., Pan gets bronze in wild playoff
The American, who led by one after 54 holes, birdied his second-to-last hole to break out of a tie with Sabbatini then had to scramble for a miraculous par on No. 18 to secure the top spot on the podium.
Sabbatini set an Olympic record with a final-round 61 to come from way behind and claim Slovakia's third medal of the Summer Games.
Matsuyama was eliminated on the first hole, ending a difficult final round and a pressure-packed weekend - he leaves without a medal after trailing the leader by one shot with four holes to play.
McIlroy was done on the third playoff hole, and Pan was the last man standing after eliminating Morikawa on the fourth playoff hole.
- James Conner scores twice against his old team, Kenny Pickett hurt as Cardinals beat Steelers
- Makar unavailable vs. Kings with lower-body injury
- Rams' Nacua returns vs. Browns despite injuring ribs
- Report: Padres, Giants, Yankees among teams vying for Korean star Lee
- Rossi scores twice vs. Blackhawks, Wild stay perfect under Hynes