Schauffele hangs on to win golf gold for U.S., Pan gets bronze in wild playoff
The American, who led by one after 54 holes, birdied his second-to-last hole to break out of a tie with Sabbatini then had to scramble for a miraculous par on No. 18 to secure the top spot on the podium.
Sabbatini set an Olympic record with a final-round 61 to come from way behind and claim Slovakia's third medal of the Summer Games.
Matsuyama was eliminated on the first hole, ending a difficult final round and a pressure-packed weekend - he leaves without a medal after trailing the leader by one shot with four holes to play.
McIlroy was done on the third playoff hole, and Pan was the last man standing after eliminating Morikawa on the fourth playoff hole.
- Rams' Stafford throws for 4 TDs, outduels Brady and Bucs
- Raiders beat Dolphins in OT to improve to 3-0 for 1st time since 2002
- Jays' Manoah after topping Twins: 'We think we're the best team in baseball'
- Dodgers eclipse 100-win threshold for 3rd time in last 5 years
- Broncos throttle Jets 26-0 for first 3-0 start since 2016