Schauffele extends lead midway through final round in Tokyo
Xander Schauffele shot 4-under on the front nine during the final round of the golf competition in Toyko to lead by two over Rory Sabbatini.
Schauffele saw his 54-hole lead grow thanks to back-to-back birdies on his opening holes. The American added two more birdies before making the turn to reach 18-under for the tournament.
Sabbatini is in the middle of a blistering round at Kasumigaseki Country Club. The former South African, who is now representing Slovakia, sits at 9-under through 15 holes with the potential for a 59 in the cards.
Paul Casey is trying to keep pace with Schauffele in the tournament's final group. He shot a bogey-free 3-under on the front nine and trails Schauffele by three.
Hometown favorite Hideki Matsuyama went 1-under through nine holes to fall four shots off Schauffele's lead.
- Report: Seahawks' Walker, Charbonnet expected to be available vs. 49ers
- Report: Jaguars optimistic Lawrence will play vs. Browns
- Lakers win debut NBA Cup behind dominant performances from LeBron, AD
- Where do the Blue Jays pivot after missing out on Ohtani?
- Samsonov records 1st shutout of season as Leafs prevail over Preds