NHL denies request for overage goalie on 23-and-under World Cup team
Peter Chiarelli will continue keeping a close eye on the AHL over the next several months.
He's not only scouting Edmonton Oilers prospects, but also looking to select his goalies for the 23-and-under North American young stars team for the 2016 World Cup.
The goalies that fit the criteria - namely John Gibson, Connor Hellebuyck, Matt Murray, and Malcolm Subban - are not yet NHL regulars, prompting Chiarelli to request an exception when building his roster.
While this squad will still be loaded at the other positions, a relatively inexperienced goalie will lead the young stars. The lack of familiarity on the part of the opposition, however, could end up working in their favor.
- Mikheyev has 'no complaints' about Canucks' handling of season-ending ACL injury
- Blue Jackets claim Pederson off waivers from Canucks
- A radical remodel of local sports TV may come sooner than expected
- Horvat's 4-point night propels Canucks past Blue Jackets
- Flames rebound from ugly loss with impressive win vs. Kraken