Gionta ejected for spearing Senators' Borowiecki
The ejection is a departure from Gionta's usual playing style, as the 32-year-old has only registered 52 penalty minutes in 194 career NHL games.
He admitted he was in the wrong in a conversation with reporters postgame.
"I just lost my cool, and that can't happen," he said, via Sportsnet. "I apologize to Mark for that play and obviously I let my teammates down with it. Luckily they bailed me out."
- Report: Sabres unwilling to retain salary in potential Eichel trade
- Lightning 'praying' Kucherov OK after leaving game with apparent injury
- Vegas' Pacioretty week-to-week with fractured foot
- Three-peat*: The AHL team that sat out a season and returned as champs
- Maple Leafs' Mrazek to miss 2 weeks with groin injury