VIDEO: 'Let's go Islanders' chant breaks out as Billy Joel closes out Nassau Coliseum
Billy Joel was in a New York state of mind as he was bestowed the honor of playing the final concert at the old Nassau Coliseum on Tuesday.
During the show, the Bronx native was joined by Paul Simon, who made reference to the New York Islanders, the arena's former tenants, who will now call Brooklyn home.
A "Let's go Islanders" chant broke out while Simon - who was booed for admitting to being a New York Rangers fan - lamented the move and compared it to the Brooklyn Dodgers moving to ... San Francisco?
While the geography may be off, the sentiment clearly rang true for those in attendance.
The Coliseum will undergo a partial demolition and significant renovations, and the Islanders will always be remembered for starting the fire - of hockey fandom - on the Island.
- With h/t to Eye on Hockey
- Watch: Ovechkin passes Gretzky for most all-time road goals
- Tkachuk gets standing ovation, loses in return to Calgary
- Sullivan: Refs should've penalized Canes for 'dangerous hit' leading to OT winner
- 'Shame on us': Cooper irked Lightning took costly penalty in 3rd vs. Bruins
- Flyers edge Islanders to snap 10-game losing streak