Report: Devils, Guy Boucher in preliminary discussions about coaching vacancy
The Toronto Maple Leafs closed the door on Guy Boucher, but he hasn't given up on a return to the NHL.
Boucher is in preliminary discussions with the New Jersey Devils regarding their coaching vacancy, according to TVA's Louis Jean. General manager Ray Shero - hired by the Devils at the beginning of May - has yet to make any public indications about who will be the team's next coach, but Boucher seems like a good fit for an organization looking to re-establish its defensive prowess.
The Maple Leafs were apparently hours away from making Boucher the franchise's next head coach when they reached a deal with Mike Babcock. There was some speculation Boucher would be hired by Toronto as an assistant under Babcock, but reports indicate the former Tampa Bay Lightning bench boss is only interested in being a head coach.
- Lightning 'praying' Kucherov OK after leaving game with apparent injury
- Report: Sabres unwilling to retain salary in potential Eichel trade
- Watch: Flames' Andersson headbutts Oilers' Yamamoto
- Three-peat*: The AHL team that sat out a season and returned as champs
- Maple Leafs' Mrazek to miss 2 weeks with groin injury