Kings GM: Mike Richards recall 'very much a possibility'
"The one thing about Michael, (as) everybody knows, when there’s big games or critical moments, he’s always there," Lombardi told Sportsnet's Dan Murphy on Thursday night.
Richards was sent to the AHL in January after producing 15 points in 47 games.
"We've just got to get him up to that capacity to be able to do that. There's very much a possibility he could be back."
Lombardi mentioned there's a plan in place to possibly get Richards back with the NHL club.
"We're running him through some tests right now," Lombardi said.
The tests Lombardi is referring to was touched on by Lisa Dillman of the Los Angeles Times, who explained the plan to Winnipeg radio station TSN 1290 on Thursday afternoon:
There has been a development - a small one and it was kind of planned. He’s actually not with the Monarchs right now. He’s in L.A. He’s been training and working out at El Segundo. They’re putting him through physical testing. They’re trying to establish a baseline. Really, Dean Lombardi said they want to see where he’s at. I think they want to evaluate and go from there.
Richards has three goals and 14 points in 16 AHL games.
- Canucks GM: 'No angry sides' in contract talks with Pettersson, Hughes
- Aho amused by Hurricanes' $20 signing bonus for Kotkaniemi: 'It's pretty funny'
- Five years ago, North America's young guns electrified the World Cup
- Kane says he didn't know about alleged assault in 2010
- Sharks' Hertl not worried about contract extension