VIDEO: Red Wings goal waved off after phantom goaltender interference call
Washington Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby fell backwards and saved his team a goal against during Wednesday's game against the Detroit Red Wings.
The Red Wings appeared to get on the board in the first period as Drew Miller put the puck in a relatively open net after Holtby tripped himself up.
The referee saw it differently, however, waving off the goal and sending Luke Glendening to the penalty box for goaltender interference.
Judge for yourself.
This could go down as one of the most productive gaffes in NHL history.
- Penguins to start with Karlsson, Letang on top power-play unit
- Matthews willing to embrace bigger role on penalty kill
- Coyotes' Keller: Cooley's dazzling goal 'the best I've ever seen'
- Leafs' Robertson: 'I don't give a f--k' that my name isn't what it once was
- Stone eager to start Cup defense: 'I hope people write us off'