VIDEO: Red Wings goal waved off after phantom goaltender interference call
Washington Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby fell backwards and saved his team a goal against during Wednesday's game against the Detroit Red Wings.
The Red Wings appeared to get on the board in the first period as Drew Miller put the puck in a relatively open net after Holtby tripped himself up.
The referee saw it differently, however, waving off the goal and sending Luke Glendening to the penalty box for goaltender interference.
Judge for yourself.
This could go down as one of the most productive gaffes in NHL history.
- Wild's Evason baffled after Leafs' Murray knocks net off moorings 3 times
- Bruins set NHL record with 12th straight home win to start season
- Karlsson's splashy resurgence, the Michkov conundrum, and hockey nicknames
- Moving on from D.J. Smith is Senators' only hope of saving season
- Jets survive Robertson, Stars' comeback bid in OT