VIDEO: Red Wings goal waved off after phantom goaltender interference call
Washington Capitals goaltender Braden Holtby fell backwards and saved his team a goal against during Wednesday's game against the Detroit Red Wings.
The Red Wings appeared to get on the board in the first period as Drew Miller put the puck in a relatively open net after Holtby tripped himself up.
The referee saw it differently, however, waving off the goal and sending Luke Glendening to the penalty box for goaltender interference.
Judge for yourself.
This could go down as one of the most productive gaffes in NHL history.
- 2022 Stanley Cup odds: Teams to buy, sell following chaotic offseason
- Report: NHL's investigation into Evander Kane to wrap up by camp
- Avalanche sign Ryan Murray to 1-year pact
- Wild's Fiala, Flyers' Sanheim are NHL's only club-elected salary arbitrations
- Report: Blackhawks to publicize results of sexual abuse investigation