2015 Winter Classic to feature Blackhawks and Capitals at Nationals Park
There will officially be an outdoor game of NHL hockey played in the American capital on New Year's Day, 2015. That game will feature some of the most recognizable stars in the game, pitting Alexander Ovechkin's Washington Capitals against Patrick Kane and the Chicago Blackhawks.
"The [Winter Classic] has made New Year’s Day a highlight of the season for NHL fans everywhere,” said NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman in a league release. "Nationals Park provides an ideal setting for all the excitement, entertainment and fun as the Blackhawks and Capitals bring our outdoor tradition to historic Washington, D.C."
The game will be televised nationally on NBC in the United States, on CBC in Canada, and on TVA in Quebec.
"We are thrilled," said Capitals owner Ted Leonisis. "We are delighted the D.C. area and our great fan base will have an opportunity to experience the NHL Winter Classic, and we know that Nationals Park will provide an incredible backdrop for the game."
The jerseys for the game will be unveiled at a special event on Sept. 23rd.
- Wild's Evason baffled after Leafs' Murray knocks net off moorings 3 times
- Bruins set NHL record with 12th straight home win to start season
- Karlsson's splashy resurgence, the Michkov conundrum, and hockey nicknames
- Moving on from D.J. Smith is Senators' only hope of saving season
- Burakovsky scores twice as Kraken get 1st-ever win over Golden Knights