Marchand jokingly backs Binnington: 'He makes me look like a good guy'
Boston Bruins pest Brad Marchand playfully barbed St. Louis Blues goaltender Jordan Binnington prior to Sunday's contest between the two clubs.
Marchand jokingly said Binnington has taken his crown as the league's most hated player in a lighthearted pre-game interview with TNT's Paul Bissonnette.
"He makes me look like a good guy, though, so I love it," Marchand said. "I used to be the most hated. I think he's kind of taken that over now."
Binnington made headlines last month when he earned a two-game suspension for punching Minnesota Wild forward Ryan Hartman and sparking a near brawl. The incident was the latest in a long list of antics throughout the feisty Blues netminder's career. Earlier this season, Blues head coach Craig Berube said Binnington needs to cut down on extracurriculars and focus on stopping the puck.
Marchand is no stranger to controversy himself, earning an NHL-record eight suspensions over the course of his 14-year career with the Bruins.
Binnington and Marchand met in the 2019 Stanley Cup Final, culminating in the Blues winning the championship in seven games.
- Bettman: 'Very preliminary' cap projections between $87M-$88M for 2024-25
- WHL suspends coach Constantine until at least 2025 over discriminatory comments
- 5 teams most likely to cause Stanley Cup Playoffs chaos
- Vezina Trophy Rankings: Sorokin the early favorite for hardware
- theScore's 2023-24 Fantasy Hockey Draft Kit