Wings' Bertuzzi likely out 6 weeks after surgery on apparent hand injury
Bertuzzi underwent surgery Friday and will likely miss six weeks, Red Wings head coach Derek Lalonde said.
The winger was hurt during a shootout loss to the Buffalo Sabres on Wednesday when teammate Ben Chiarot's point shot struck Bertuzzi's left hand late in the third period.
Detroit placed the 27-year-old on injured reserve Thursday.
Bertuzzi has been limited to nine games this season due to multiple ailments. He missed most of the preseason with an undisclosed injury he sustained at the start of training camp. Bertuzzi then broke his right hand blocking a shot in the second game of the regular season, after which he missed a month.
The Ontario-born forward collected one goal and three assists over the nine games he played in 2022-23. Bertuzzi is coming off a strong campaign in which he established career highs in goals (30), assists (32), and points despite suiting up for just 68 contests.
Bertuzzi has played parts of seven seasons with the Red Wings, who drafted him 58th overall in 2013.
- Report: Rangers eyeing Meier as top deadline target
- Report: Blackhawks receiving calls on McCabe, Murphy
- theScore's guide to the 2023 NHL All-Star Skills Competition
- Bruins surprise themselves, Giordano thrives, and 4 more NHL items
- Report: Senators AHL coach gave NHL team pre-scouting material before firing