Blue Jackets sign Peeke to 3-year extension with $2.75M AAV
Peeke, 24, played all 82 games for the Blue Jackets last season, posting two goals and 13 assists while averaging just over 21 minutes of ice time per contest.
The Florida native will play out the final season of a two-year pact with a cap hit of $787,500 this campaign. He could have become a restricted free agent next summer.
"Andrew is a smart, versatile defenseman who moves the puck well, added an element of physicality to his game last season, and showed that he can play effectively in all situations," general manager Jarmo Kekalainen said in a statement. "He arguably was our most improved player a year ago, and we are excited to see what the future holds for him as he continues to develop and progress as a player."
Peeke led the Blue Jackets with 169 blocks in 2021-22 and ranked second on the team with 191 hits.
Selected by Columbus in the second round of the 2016 draft, Peeke has 21 points in 115 career contests, all with the Blue Jackets.
- Oilers' Draisaitl: 'I haven't really been happy with the way I've been playing'
- Horvat: Pettersson would 'be my vote' for new Canucks captain
- Larkin addresses pending UFA status: 'I really see myself as a Red Wing'
- Luongo on All-Star Skills cameo: 'I don't know why I said yes'
- Defensemen in very short supply at NHL All-Star Game