Scheifele remains in COVID-19 protocol
Scheifele tested positive Wednesday but is asymptomatic and returned one negative test, according to TSN's Chris Johnston. Scheifele produced another positive test Thursday, so he is still in the league's protocol and will miss Thursday's home opener against the Anaheim Ducks, Johnston added.
Jets captain Blake Wheeler was placed in protocol earlier this week and later tested positive. Wheeler was displaying COVID-19 symptoms, so he will have to isolate for at least 10 days, per the NHL's rules.
Fully vaccinated players who are asymptomatic do not have to isolate for 10 days before they can return to the team. They are, however, required to produce two straight negative tests on consecutive days.
Scheifele led Winnipeg with 63 points over 56 games last season and has notched two assists across two contests in 2021-22.
- Ducks' Zegras after lacrosse-style assist: 'I still can't believe it worked'
- Blackhawks' Khaira 'responsive' after taking hit by Rangers' Trouba
- Leafs' Spezza suspended 6 games for kneeing Jets' Pionk in head
- Hurricanes' Cole ejected for kneeing Jets' Scheifele
- 'When Goalies Were Weird' - Episode 3: Ron Hextall 🎧