Flames' Andersson fined $5K for roughing Oilers' Yamamoto
In the season's first edition of the "Battle of Alberta," Andersson headbutted Yamamoto late in the first period, appearing to take exception to the winger encroaching on Flames goaltender Jacob Markstrom.
Here's a closer look at the incident:
The officials handed Andersson minor penalties for roughing and elbowing. Oilers superstar Connor McDavid scored on the ensuing power play.
Under NHL rules, an attempt to headbutt warrants a double minor, but a player who actually does headbutt an opponent is supposed to be assessed a major.
Andersson is in his fourth full season with the Flames, though he played his first game with Calgary in 2016-17.
- Ducks' Zegras after lacrosse-style assist: 'I still can't believe it worked'
- Blackhawks' Khaira 'responsive' after taking hit by Rangers' Trouba
- Leafs' Spezza suspended 6 games for kneeing Jets' Pionk in head
- Hurricanes' Cole ejected for kneeing Jets' Scheifele
- 'When Goalies Were Weird' - Episode 3: Ron Hextall 🎧