Flames' Andersson fined $5K for roughing Oilers' Yamamoto
In the season's first edition of the "Battle of Alberta," Andersson headbutted Yamamoto late in the first period, appearing to take exception to the winger encroaching on Flames goaltender Jacob Markstrom.
Here's a closer look at the incident:
The officials handed Andersson minor penalties for roughing and elbowing. Oilers superstar Connor McDavid scored on the ensuing power play.
Under NHL rules, an attempt to headbutt warrants a double minor, but a player who actually does headbutt an opponent is supposed to be assessed a major.
Andersson is in his fourth full season with the Flames, though he played his first game with Calgary in 2016-17.
- Gorton: Canadiens will be transparent if they commit to rebuild
- Getzlaf week-to-week with lower-body injury
- Hart Trophy Power Rankings: McDavid reigns despite Draisaitl's surge
- 'When you go up, don't come back': How the Red Wings are building from within
- NHL weekend preview: Panthers to stay hot vs. Binnington-less Blues